Ivie Edobor wants justice after ex-husband tried to kill her
Project Alert on Violence Against Women would like to express it’s deepest shock and concern over the almost deadly attack of Ivie Edobor by her estranged husband, John Edobor, a staff of Zenith Bank.
Project Alert first heard of the case through the social media last week Wednesday (Sept 21st) and immediately swung into action.
We established contact with Ivie and visited her last week Friday (Sept 23rd). Ivie in her sitting room, told us her story. She told us how her estranged husband of two years, laid in wait for her outside her home (an apartment she paid rent for and moved in just in April 2016, after living with her father for two years after he threw she and the 3 kids out) up on till 1 am.
Why would a man who is estranged from his wife; and who is not the owner or rent payer of the apartment she occupies, wait outside her house till that time if it is not for criminal purposes?
Ivie who on the fateful day attended her father’s 74th birthday and returned very late, was viciously attacked by John right outside her gate, with the help of thugs he had earlier bought drinks for and misinformed that the house was his and he had come to confront his wife whom he heard was flirting around.
Several questions to be asked:
1. If John Edobor had no criminal intent, why would he seat outside Ivie ‘ s house till 1 am, to await her return?
2. Why would he incite area boys with drinks and lies in order to get them to join in the attack?
3. According to Ivie, the police said they saw a knife on him, when he was arrested. Why did he have a knife on him?
4. Why would the police charge him with assault occasioning harm when clearly he came to kill his wife and according to Ivie he actually did say “I will kill you today”.
5. What action has Zenith Bank against it’s staff and also to support Ivie and the children since this incident occurred?
6. Who will pay the N2.7m hospital bill Ivie incurred during her almost 2 months stay in the hospital?
7. Who will pay for the upkeep of the 3 children she has been solely caring for as their father even yanked them off Zenith medical insurance?
We all must ensure #justiceforIvieEdobor. This is one in too many cases of domestic violence in Nigeria. We can not keep silent in the face of evil.
Domestic violence is not a private family matter. It is a crime. We at Project Alert will stand by Ivie through out this trying time of her life.
ProjectAlert Vaw on behalf of Ivie Edobor would like to thank all those who turned up yesterday morning September 27th, 2016 at Surulere Magistrate Court 1 sitting at Bode Thomas for the criminal case of assault occasioning harm against John Edobor.
In attendance were lawyers representing various government and non-governmental organizations such as the office of the Director of Public Prosecution, DPP;Office of the Public Defender, OPD; Domestic & Sexual Violence Response Team of the State Ministry of Justice, DSVRT; Due Process Advocates, DPA; and our own Jead of Legal, Barr. Benjamin Ocholuje Odeh, who discovered the real date as against the false date given Ivie.
The magistrate didn’t seat and that is understandable as the Lagos State judiciary just resumed this week and has various activities lined up to celebrate the new legal year. A new date had to be picked for mention and that is November 10th. It seems a far way off but its okay as it gives us all ample time to advocate and strategise on all fronts
To Ivie, we say stay strong. The silence on your case has been broken forever. Nothing can be swept under the carpet. We must get #justiceforIvieEdobor. Below is a picture of some of the lawyers who turned up, along with Ivie’s neighbours and some friends..
Project Alert on Violence Against Women