10 signs of emotional abuse Nigerian women should know
There are some signs of emotional abuse Nigerian women should know so that they won’t continue making excuses for men who emotionally abuse them.
When we talk about abuse, Nigerian women tell other women that as long as their partners are not beating them, they should stay with these men and not provoke them.
This is terrible. There’s more to abuse to physical abuse. Abuse can also be emotional, financial, psychological and mental. These forms of abuse leave invisible wounds that sometimes can’t heal.
So, what is emotional abuse?
Emotional abuse is any abusive behaviour that is not physical which may include verbal aggression, manipulation, intimidation and humiliation.
These unfold as a pattern of behavior over time that aims to diminish another person’s sense of identity, dignity and self worth.
Women who suffer from emotional abuse often develop anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and behaviors as well as post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Ladies, here are 10 signs of emotional abuse you should know so that you won’t fall victim to men who are emotionally abusive:
1. The silent treatment. This person offends you but instead of apologizing, they give you the silent treatment.
2. Refusing to take responsibility for their actions.
3. Manipulating you to get what they want all the time.
4. Using shame to make you feel bad about who you are and your flaws.
5. Ridiculing you for expressing your vulnerability.
6. Ignoring you when you express concerns about their behavior.
7. Indifference when you express hurt, pain, sadness and disappointment.
8. Pushing the other psychologically until they begin to question their sanity.
9. Leading someone to believe that something is their fault when it is not.
10. Blaming the other person for their actions, bad behavior and unhealthy outbursts.
If you are in an emotionally abusive relationship, you have to leave that person so that you don’t end up crazy.
You can’t change this person. You are not any man’s messiah. Don’t take up that responsibility. Stop holding on to them, you are just hurting yourself.
Ladies, leave to live!