10 lessons 2017 taught me about life and relationships
2017 is almost over and I learnt some life lessons that will be beneficial to other women too in their journey to self discovery.
It was a tough year for me but I am grateful for my life and for the wisdom to live life one day at a time.
* I learnt to be quiet and let my actions speak for me. I noticed that some people will provoke you so that you will react and they will use your words against you. Just stay calm. Let them feel you through your actions.
* I learnt to be myself even when people don’t believe in my uniqueness. Believe me, being different from others is hard. You will feel lonely and alone many times.
* I learnt not to discard anyone or any relationship totally because they might come in handy tomorrow. Even when you fight, leave room for reconciliation.
* I learnt that family is not always blood. That you are related to someone by blood mean nothing if they don’t want you to be successful. Family are people who believe in you, stand by you and support you to be everything you can be.
* This year taught me that nothing is permanent in life. No relationship is permanent. No condition is permanent. Just enjoy life as things come and go.
* I learnt that you can’t help someone who doesn’t want to be helped. You shouldn’t allow people entrap you in their unending drama. Learn to stay away until the person decides to help themselves first.
* I learnt that you shouldn’t expect others to do for you the things you do for them. Don’t expect anything from anyone to avoid being disappointed and hurt. This helped me a lot this year.
* This year, I learnt not to give up on myself no matter how things get. I learnt that at the end of the day, I am my own greatest cheerleader. I am the one who matters. I have myself for life. I look out for myself and take care of myself before others.
* I realized that this life is sweet. Life is beautiful despite all the challenges we face, all the tears we cry, all the heartbreaks we suffer, all the disappointments we encounter and all the losses we suffer. Celebrate life. Live life. Enjoy life. Play. Dance. Sing. Laugh. Life is good.
* I learnt that if you surround yourself with the right people, there will be less drama. I learnt that there’s strength and peace in building positive relationships.
* I also learnt to keep my dreams to myself and work on them until they materialize for all to see. There are dream killers and there are dream builders, we should be careful who we share our dreams with.
These are some of the lessons 2017 taught me.
By Kate Halim