10 things Nigerian women should know about Kamala Harris
Joe Biden has picked Kamala Harris as his running mate to defeat President Donald Trump this November during the United States Presidential election.
Harris is the first black woman to have the number two spot on the Democratic ticket.
Beside the fact that Kamala Harris is a beautiful and intelligent woman, Biden described her as a fearless fighter and one of the country’s finest public servants.
So who is Kamala Harris? Here are 10 things Nigerian women should know about this powerful woman:
1. Kamala Devi Harris was born on October 20th, 1964.
2. She’s an American lawyer and politician serving as a senator from California since 2017.
3. She’s currently the vice presidential nominee for the 2020 election.
4. She’s the first African American and South Asian woman to be chosen as the running mate of a major party’s presidential candidate.
5. She was born in Oakland, California to two immigrant parents: an Indian-born mother and Jamaican-born father.
6. She is a graduate of Howard University and University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
7. She became the district attorney – the top prosecutor for San Francisco in 2003, before being elected the first woman and the first black person to serve as California’s attorney general, the top lawyer and law enforcement official in America’s most populous state in 2010 and was re-elected in 2014.
8. In 2005, she was awarded the Thurgood Matshall Award by the National Black Prosecutors Association.
9. In 2006, Kamala Harris was elected to the National District Attorneys Association’s Board of Directors as vice president and appointed to co-chair its Corrections and Re-Entry Committee. She was also selected to co-chair the California District Attorneys Association’s sex crimes committee.
10. In 2008, she was named Attorney of the Year by California Lawyer magazine. Her reputation as a tough fighter has earned her many accolades from supporters and critics alike.
Kamala Harris is married to attorney Douglas Emhoff. They got married on August 22, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California.
They don’t have children yet but Harris is a step mother to her husband’s two children from his previous marriage. Harris and her husband’s estimated net worth is $5.8 million.