Mother’s Day, as the name suggests, is a holiday to honour mothers. The date on which Mother’s Day is celebrated varies across the world.
In some countries, Mother’s Day is celebrated alongside Women’s Day on March 8. In others, like Nigeria, Mother’s Day is observed every year on the second Sunday of May.
This year, Mother’s Day is being celebrated on May 9, and it is the perfect opportunity to tell your mom how much she means to you.
For many women, there is nobody else as important as their mothers. Mother’s Day is therefore the perfect opportunity to express how much you love and respect your mother.
There are many ways to make this Sunday the best one that your mom has seen in a while. You could treat her to her favourite meal, offer to take over her chores so she can relax, gift her something special or simply spend time with her – there is no right or wrong way to celebrate Mother’s Day!
The most important thing is celebrating your mother and making the day special for her so that remember you with fondness, love and laughter. Mothers are gods, they deserve to be celebrated.
Below are 10 Mother’s Day wishes, greetings, messages, and images that you can share with your mother on Mother’s Day:
1. I hope I can hug you soon. For now, this card will have to do. Happy Mother’s Day!
2. Dear mom, words can’t express how much you mean to me, but I will still try. Thank you for being a guide, an inspiration, a shoulder to lean on and the rock of our family. Happy Mother’s Day!
3. Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who made me who I am today. I owe everything to you!
4. Wishing you a Mother’s Day that’s filled with all your favourite things. You deserve endless pampering.
5. Thank you for putting up with my childhood antics and teenage angst. It couldn’t have been easy but you did it all with a smile. Love you, mom!
6. Happy Mother’s Day! May this year be full of good luck and great things for you, mom. We love you!
7. Until we can meet again, mum, here is a virtual Mother’s Day hug and a lot of love.
8. Wish you a heartfelt Mother’s Day – I hope to become as graceful, as strong, and as loving as you are. Thank you for inspiring me, mom.
9. I am so grateful to be blessed with a nurturer as pure and strong as you have been mom. With all my love, Happy Mother’s day!
10. Happy Mother’s Day to the best mother in the world!
History and significance of Mother’s Day
According to History.com, Mother’s Day dates back to ancient Greeks and Romans who celebrated in honour of mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele.
However, modern reference to the day can be found in Mothering Sunday, which was the fourth Sunday in Lent celebrated in the UK and some parts of Europe.
The festival was religious in nature as on Mothering Sunday, people used to visit their main church, also known as the mother church.
Finally, the second Sunday of May was designated as Mother’s Day due to the efforts of Anna Jarvis who wrote to political leaders for inclusion of Mother’s Day in the national calendar. Her efforts came to fruit when US President Wilson made Mother’s Day official in 1914.