10 problems women in India can relate with
The status of women in India has witnessed great changes over the years. It has changed from ancient status to the promotion of equal rights by many reformers.
In modern India, women have held high offices including that of the President, Prime Minister, Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Leader of Opposition, Union Ministers, Chief Ministers and Governors.
Women’s rights under the Constitution include: equality, dignity, and freedom from discrimination. The country has various statutes governing the rights of women.
However, there are many problems faced by women in India and they include crime, rape and gender inequality.
Indian Women can relate with these 10 problems.
1. Many successful women in India are likely to receive zero attention for their achievements.
2. As a lady, you have to get married early just to avoid constant badgering from uncles and aunties to go and get married.
3. Women experience horrific groping and touching in overcrowded places and markets. This is why many women go out with pepper spray.
4. Women face intense pressure to juggle work and family responsibilities. Indian Parents-in-law are not particularly supportive.
5. In India, wear short dresses at your peril! Women are expected to cover up all the time so that they won’t tempt their men with their dressing.
6. Many women in India dream of travelling alone but find it hard to fulfill this dream because it is believed to be wrong.
7. An Indian lady cannot live alone without her landlord taking extra interest in her comings and goings and especially the men who come to visit.
8. Women are routinely paid lesser than men even though they do the same work.
9. Getting home late at night when you don’t have your own a car or bike as a woman is dangerous. You can only comfortably use public transport at night if you have a black belt in martial arts.
10. India doesn’t have systems in place to deal with harassment at the workplace. Inappropriate behaviour behind closed doors hardly gets reported.