10 health benefits of lemon peel Nigerian women should be enjoying
A lot of women consume lemons these days to boost their health but one thing they should stop doing is throwing away lemon peel after squeezing out the juice.
Did you know lemon peel contains 5 to 10 times more vitamins than lemon itself?
Lemon peel contains vitamin, mineral and fibre like calcium, potassium and Vitamin C, which gives your body a nutritional boost.
Ladies, when you throw away the lemon peel, you are doing a great disservice to your body. Your body needs all the nutrients lemons provide for all round healthy living.
Below are 10 benefits of lemon peel you should be enjoying in your quest for a healthier life:
1. Lemon peel contain high amounts of Vitamin C and calcium which helps in improving and maintaining bone health. It also helps in preventing bone related diseases like osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
2. If you want to lose weight, include lemon peels in your diet. They help you lose weight because of a component called pectin present in them. Pectin is responsible for the promotion of weight loss in the body.
3. Lemon peels are used in the prevention and treatment of cancer. It contains salvestrol Q40 and limonene, which helps in fighting the cancer cells. Cancer thrives in an acidic body and because lemon peel contains alkaline, it helps to maintain the pH of the body thus warding off cancer.
4. Lemons ward off bacterial and fungal infection. Their low pH make them perfect for beauty and personal care. They are very helpful in fighting and preventing skin problems like acne, wrinkles, dark spots and pigmentation. They are rich in antioxidants and helps detoxify the skin.
5. Vitamin C deficiency can result in teeth related problems like scurvy, bleeding gums and gingivitis. Lemon peels are rich in citric acid, which helps in covering up for deficiency of Vitamin C and thus help to fight common teeth related problem.
6. The presence of polyphenol flavonoids in lemon peel is helpful in maintaining the cholesterol level in the body. The presence of potassium in lemon peels helps to maintain the blood pressure. Lemon peels also help in preventing heart diseases like stroke and heart attack by maintaining the cholesterol level.
7. Lemon peels help boost digestion and immunity. They contain dietary fibre that encourages healthy digestion by regulating the bowel movement. Vitamin C helps the body fight infections.
8. The presence of Vitamin P in lemon prevents internal haemorrhage, also making it useful for treating high blood pressure thus strengthening the blood vessel.
9. Lemon peels have high amounts of citrus bio flavonoids, which are a good source for reduction of oxidative stress in your body.
10. Lemon peel prevents fruits from turning brown. Add the lemon peel to water and put your cut fruits in it. You can keep this in your fridge for as long as needed. This water will prevent the browning of your favourite fruits.
HOW TO USE LEMON PEEL FOR HEALTH AND BEAUTY BENEFITS
First, you need to freeze the lemon peel for some hours. Afterwards, you then grate them. You can sprinkle this grated peel in your drinks or food. You can also add the grated peel to your teas.
Another thing you can do is dry the lemon peels and then grind them into a fine powder. You can store this powder and use it as your home made anti-aging facial toner. Make sure you use a sunscreen with SPF 30 after using the lemon peel facial toner to avoid sunburn.
Here are some other uses of Lemon peel:
All Purpose Home Cleaner. Fill a lidded jar with lemon peels and white vinegar and let it sit for several weeks. Remove the peels and mix the remaining solution with equal parts of water.
Fridge and trash can deodorant. Place a few lemon peels inside your fridge or at the bottom of your trash can to absorb odors.
Stainless Steel Cleaner. Spread some salt on the item you want to clean and scrub any stains using lemon peels. Remember to rinse afterward.
Kettle Cleaner. Fill your kettle with water and lemon peel and bring it to a boil to remove any mineral deposits. Let the water sit for an hour before rinsing.
Body Scrub. Mix sugar, olive oil and finely chopped lemon peel, then massage onto wet skin. Make sure to rinse well once you’re done.
Face Mask. Mix rice flour, lemon peel powder, and cold milk for an exfoliating and skin cleansing mask.