Phagophobia, or the fear of swallowing is a relatively rare type of phobia. It is sometimes confused with pseudodysphagia(the fear of choking).
The major difference is that those with phagophobia are afraid of the act of swallowing, while those with pseudodysphagia are afraid that swallowing will lead to choking.
Below are 10 symptoms of Phagophobia Nigerian women should be aware of:
1. Phagophobia can cause a number of different symptoms, the most noticeable of which is an extreme reluctance or avoidance of swallowing foods, liquids, or pills.
2. Anticipatory anxiety before meals.
3. Eating in very small mouthfuls and drinking frequently during meals to aid in swallowing.
4. Extreme anxiety and fear at the thought of swallowing.
5. Panic attacks.
6. Rapid heart rate and breathing.
7. Reluctance or avoidance of eating or drinking in front of others.
8. Sweating whenever food is served.
9. Switching to an all-liquid diet as an attempt to alleviate some of the anxiety around swallowing food.
10. Weight loss.